My kiddos

My kiddos

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Coming clean about my cooking skills

It's pretty common knowledge around these parts that my hubby is a better cook than me. I've known it since we got married, but I have been in denial for the better part of 8 years. I think it finally hit me 3 years ago when my grandma asked me what DAVE was going to be bringing for a Christmas dessert. And then some months later my mom called wanting help with a recipe and asked to talk to Dave. Hmmmm...I thought, this is suspicious. I started documenting in my head the number of times we each got a cookbook down out of the cupboard in a month. Dave- 5-8 times. Me- A big fat 0. Well, that settled it, I came to terms with the fact that my husband can outcook me.
  At first my competitive side was screaming out "No WAY, you can't let him do this!" But in all reality, I really didn't care. And again, in the wise words of my grandma GG, who announced to me one day that "I was so lucky to marry a man that could cook his own food", I decided to be grateful and happy for myself!
  Now, don't get my wrong, I have a few yummy dinners I have perfected. I can make a mean sweet and sour chicken (passed down from my mom), stir fry and spaggetti. I know my sisters are grateful for the days when I made them tuna casserole! Haha... But the difference is the attitude. I cook because I have to. It is for the survival of my family that I willingly pull out pots and pans every day and try to fill their bellies. Dave cooks because he wants to. It is fun and relaxing for him, he likes to challenge himself. It is absurd...
  So I plug away making the standard tacos, sloppy joes, baked chicken, pancakes and spagetti. The kids like it. But when he decides to cook (which is at least twice a week), he does cornish game hens, jambalaya, steak, Thai food, smokes a turkey, maple syrup glazed Salmon and waffles with all the trimmings. And it is fabulous :)
  Which brings me to a couple days ago. He had a day off and we were discussing plans for dinner that night. As always, I was thinking in terms of toast and cereal. Maybe I would challenge myself with some scrambled eggs. But I heard the cupboard open and cookbooks coming down, and knew I could just sit back and watch, because his wheels were in motion. By that night he had all the ingredients to make his own Sushi. Yep, thats the way he rolls folks.
  So, without further ado, here is my man with his first sushi attempt, it was yummmy!

Pretty good, right? While he was doing this, I was cooking up something for the kids. Usually they eat what we eat, but I can't even expect my kids to slather the wasabi on and down these scrumptios morsles. So, I whipped up some grilled cheese sandwhiches(turned out ok) and hot dogs (which I burned really bad and nobody would eat them). So, there you have it. Dave made yummy homemade sushi and I burned hot dogs that were given to the dog. What does that tell ya? Oh, here is a pic of my contribution:

  If I don't say so myself, it is a perfect golden brown. So, the secrets out. If you need help with a recipe, or want to invite us for dinner, Dave is your go-to man :) Later!