My kiddos

My kiddos

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Merry Christmas

  Hi! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! We're slowly returning to some kind of normal around here, it's always hard going from FUN FUN FUN to BORING BORING BORING :) Haha..
  We had a very fun Christmas, but not without it's challenges. As most of you know, our family has had a bad run with strep throat this year (Grrrrr...). It has hit our family 12 times just this year alone! I'm really hoping we'll make it to 2012 without another one! Our pediatrician suspects we have a carrier...hmmm..makes sense.. About 8 days before Christmas Ben woke up with a sore throat and of course, it was strep. And then 5 days later both of the girls came down with strep throat. Oh. My. Word. Luckily after 2 days they were no longer contagious so we could make the trip down to my moms, but we were like our own mobile pharmacy we had to cart around so much medicine!
  Emma bounced back like a rock star, I swear her immune system can kick some butt! But poor Katie girl was hit pretty hard, and had a rough Christmas. She tried to be happy, but didn't even want to open presents..poor thing. Needless to say, I can't wait to find out who our little carrier of strep is :)
  Thanks Mom for a wonderful Christmas, and putting up with sickies :) We had a great time!



On Christmas Eve we relaxed all day! Made some pies, watched movies and of course, ate yummy chex mix and treats. That night we lit all the advent candles and remembered the reason we have Christmas! Then we bundled up and Dave drove us around looking at lights, with a stop in the middle for 7/11 icees (I'm thinking this should be a new tradition- nothing says Christmas Eve like gas station slurpees.)


 Christmas Day dinner- Kid table and us old adults....


Cody, Austin and Ben hangin out
And of course, Emma and Austin were crackin me up... 


Thanks to technology we got to include my sister in the festivities! She is in Uganda and it was 1am in Africa. She stayed awake so we could skype and she could watch the kids open stockings. So fun! And we got to see the tree that they decorated!

And, thanks to my sister Crystal, we started a brand new tradition this year- The decorating of the Yule Log! This is a christmas tradition from Europe, and if you want to learn more about it, google Buche de Noel. It's very cool, and the kids loved it. Crystal brought a cake shaped like a log in the forest. See pic below...

Then, she explained to the kids the tradition of the Yule Log, and how the family would decorate it together.

Getting ready....

...And off they go!
It turned out awesome! They were all pretty stoked with how it looked :)

We did try and get one picture of all the kids with my mom- I'm tellin ya, 6 kids are hard to get 1 good picture of. But, we tried.. here's the best one:

Most of the rest turned out something like this:

And finally, I will leave you with the one good picture I got of Kate. She loves to be fancy, and for Christmas Eve dinner we made nachos. She insisted on wearing her fancy necklaces to eat her chips. Love this little girl!
I would love to hear how everyone's Christmas was! Love to you all!