My kiddos

My kiddos

Sunday, April 21, 2013

A lesson learned


     I’m halfway down the frozen foods aisle intently trying to decide which popsicles to buy. The freezer door is open and Ben is begging for ice cream sandwiches and Katie is making handprints on the fogged up glass. I have NO IDEA what possessed Ben to do what I was about to witness. Out of the blue he decides to lick the shelf inside the freezer. I have no words. And of course, it got stuck. He froze in what I’m only assuming was instant panic and regret all rolled into one. A few seconds passed while I could only stare at him- did he just lick that frozen shelf? Before I even had time to think about what to do, he yanked himself off, leaving some of his poor skin behind (is it called skin if it’s on the tongue??-not sure).
     Some blood followed. Some screams followed. Some stares followed. I tried to paste on my stressed out mommy- smile that I’m sure freaks people out more than if I actually lost it. Luckily no frustrated words from me were even necessary. I actually never said anything until 2 more aisles over. He had stopped crying and finally said, “I’m not sure why I did that, but I’m never doing it again.” Lesson learned.
For some reason I’m thinking A Christmas Story needs to be watched in this house…