My kiddos

My kiddos

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dinner dilemma


I may need a big HUGE piece of chocolate after the last 2 hours we had in our house. It seems as of late that Ben feels he doesn’t need to eat what we put in front of him at dinner. Not cool. So, at 6:40pm we showed him what he needed to eat in order to be done. The tears came. He came up with a million reasons why he couldn’t eat the food. When everyone else was done, the temper tantrum started. Dave took the girls outside to play.  I started in on the dishes wearing the shooting earmuffs that Dave uses for firearms- it‘s pretty good at muffling loud screaming. I stayed strong- I wanted to give in so bad. As the minutes passed, big deep breaths were all that was keeping us going. He missed playing outside, watching TV, and checking on all his animals. At 8:10pm he finally ate his food- He ate it! We were all exhausted and drained, and he had to go straight to bed. We held onto him tight and he said he was sorry.
  When I tucked him into bed I said, “That was a pretty bad night, wasn’t it?”
  He said, “Yeah, it was bad, but some nights could be badder.”
  I said, “What do you mean?”
  “Well, if you got shot or stuck in a bad storm that would be worse.”
Hmmm..the kid does have a point, but at least we made some progress in the Hughes house tonight!