My kiddos

My kiddos

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

When the cat’s away, the mice will play…


  Three afternoons a week I have Katie all to myself. Or you could say she gets my undivided attention, which hardly EVER happens. At the start of the school year I thought to myself “Awesome! Katie will take a nap and I’ll have 3 afternoons ALL. TO. MYSELF. Well, that has maybe happened 4 times. Maybe. Instead, this three hours has morphed into something special for her and I. A rare time when she can actually get a word in edgewise, jump on the bed all by herself, and play in the sink while I wash dishes. It’s very fun for both of us.
  But lately, I’ve noticed an interesting turn of events. Instead of hanging out with me, she makes a beeline for the bedrooms. The first couple afternoons I didn’t pay much attention to what she was doing back there, I was just really happy she was keeping herself entertained. So, when it happened again on Thursday, I went to investigate what was SO MUCH COOLER than being with me. I almost laughed out loud when I walked into the room. Katie was playing with all the toys that are off-limits to her when her big brother and sister are home. She had Ben’s puppies all  lined up, Emma’s sacred Barbie collection strewn about, and was wearing all the fancy jewelry. Wowza. I have to say she’s one tough cookie- taking a risk like that.
   She heard me at the door and turned like a deer caught in the headlights. I’m pretty sure she thought she was headed for the slammer right then and there. She said to me, “Sorry mom, Kate play with Barbies.”  She gave me the look. The one that means please just let me do this just this once and please don’t say anything about this ever to anyone please!
    So, because of her bravery, we have a secret pact. We may need an intervention one day. But on any given weekday afternoon, you will probably find us taking Barbies for rides in their jeep, having a wedding ceremony for Ken and the Mermaid princess, or taking puppies to the doctor for check-ups. The evidence is then carefully put back in it’s rightful place before 3:30 rolls around. Don’t judge us too hard…..