My kiddos

My kiddos

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Flashback

       So I had a flashback today as I sat in the bathroom. I had only been in there 30 seconds or so when I heard a knock on the door- “Mom, are you in there?” They had been watching a cartoon but apparently they heard the sound of the bathroom door close. And they found me- that fast. I was silent because I was mad. Mad that they couldn’t just leave me alone long enough so I could go to the bathroom BY MYSELF. Mad that I no longer had any personal space. Just plain mad.
     They quit yelling and started whispering. “what’s she doing in there?” I heard Ben say. “Why did she lock the door?” Katie whisper-yelled, “I don’t know! Maybe lets yell again!”
      I finally said in a low freaky kind of growling voice, “I am going to the bathroom, leave me ALONE!” Silence. For about 10 seconds. Then a comb was shoved under the bathroom door. Then a quarter. And some pennies. Lots of quiet giggling followed. Then some little fingers pushed a pretty purple bracelet under the door. “For you mom!” she yelled and then ran away laughing.
     That’s when my flashback came- 3 little girls standing at a bathroom door trying to open the lock with the top of a pen cap, while my mom sat on the other side of the door feeling mad. And tired. And frustrated.
Unfortunately for her, we got that door open, and all yelled “Ta-da!” in perfect unison. Mom, for this I am so sorry. For all the countless times we wouldn’t let you go to the bathroom in the early 1980’s I am very sorry. I understand now how you felt and it’s just not cool at all.
     I waited in the bathroom until I was sure they had gone back to their cartoon. But when I opened the door there they were, waiting for me to come out. “Hi mommy!” Katie yelled as she ran to give me a hug. “I need juice.” Ben chimed in, “Did you like the comb I sent you?”
    It’s a good thing I love them with every fiber of my being. And I know you always felt the same. Happy Mothers Day a little early- thanks for putting up with me and my shenanigans. If it makes you feel any better, your grandkids are paying me back big-time. Love you...