My kiddos

My kiddos

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Shades of red

    I’m standing in the checkout line at Fred Meyer on a busy Friday afternoon. People are lined up behind me waiting as the checker rings up our groceries. Katie is sitting on the floor at my feet, complaining that she’s hungry. Ben is standing near the front of the basket singing “I just want to go home now” to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle  Little Star. Emma has been talking non-stop about the characters she likes on Jessie, how much she likes learning about igneous rocks and why Hersheys is her favorite kind of chocolate.
     I’m just trying to concentrate and keep the smile pasted on my face until we get to the car. The day has been LONG. I’m just pulling my wallet out of my purse to pay when Emma gasps and says, while pointing at my nose, “Mom- you have a red spot on your nose! It’s really big- I can’t believe I haven’t noticed it today.”
     I’m pretty sure I saw at least 6 pairs of eyes turn in my direction and stare at my nose. It was like the scene out of a bad movie when all the background noise fades out, and the camera lens zooms in on the main characters face, waiting for a reaction.
    I smiled even bigger and tried to blow it off. “Oh, I don’t know, I’ll look at it in the car, ok?” I said trying to give her a heated stare.
    “But it looks like it hurts, what do you think it is? A huge bug bite?” Emma was definitely concerned, and talking in a not so quiet voice.
    “It’s not a bug bite- it’s FINE,” I whispered, feeling my face turn 4 shades of red. By now everyone was averting there eyes and looking very uncomfortable. I don’t blame them. She started to pick up on my freaky mom eyes but it was too late. 
    And then, at that moment, she realized what it was-and because common sense had already flown the coop, she covered her mouth and yelled, “Oh, it’s a big zit! Sorry mom!”
    So am I. And so was the checker who had lots of them too. I swiped my card as fast as I could and avoided eye contact at all cost. When he handed me the receipt and said the standard, “Have a nice day, ma’am” I couldn’t help but shoot him the evil eye too. “Well,” he said, “at least it’s almost over, right?” 
     That’s true. I pushed my cart filled with groceries, 3 whiney kids, and my big huge ZIT right at of the store.