My kiddos

My kiddos

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Memorial Day

The kids and I were down at my moms to celebrate Memorial Day. On Sunday,  we loaded up cars with 8 kids and 5 adults to head out to see the Avenue of Flags at the Dallas cemetery. It takes my breath away every time, and I am always humbled at the tremendous sacrifice made by brave men and women. My dad has a flag flying there, and after pictures with it we always go walk up and visit the gravestones of my dad, grandpa and many others that have gone before us.
Yesterday as we walked through the cemetery telling stories and looking at flowers, Ben was very reflective. He was sad that some gravestones didn't have flowers, and spent a lot of time picking daisies to put on them so that they wouldn't be left out.
Ben and his cousins were following my mom around, taking everything in. As they stood looking at a gravestone, Ben turned to my mom and said, "It's sure gonna be a hard day when we lay you to rest here, Nana."
I'm sure this just warmed her heart. Once again I am putting a disclaimer on my kids- you just never know what they're gonna say at any given time. It's a good thing she has a great sense of humor and loves him a lot..

 Here are a couple pictures we took...

Emma, Ben and Katie

 The Bodine side grandkids by my dad's flag..

Jackson and Ben- best buds

Emma and little Molly Rose