My kiddos

My kiddos

Monday, November 5, 2012

The flu part 2


I actually left the house today. I know, I know- that doesn’t seem like a big deal. But after 3 days of using all my energy just to walk through the house, this was a big accomplishment. It took 2 hours just to convince my body to cooperate, and I only really did it because I had 3 kids going CRAZY out of boredom. This flu has kicked my booty pretty bad.
So off we went. I want to clarify that I had absolutely NO INTENTION of getting out of the car. You’ll understand why I’m clearing that up right away. My intent was to get myself and kids in the car, and then drive around running errands- dropping books off in the library drop box, depositing a check, mailing my ballot, and getting us all a treat from the coffee shop drive-thru. All things I could handle from the comfort of the warm car.
Because I had no intention of actually interacting with people, I didn’t spend too much time getting ready. Have you ever seen someone who’s had the flu for 3 or 4 days? There’s absolutely no way to make that face look pretty. I didn’t even try. I had thrown on rubber boots over my sweats, a tank top and hoodie, and no makeup had touched my face in days…maybe a week if I’m honest. Come to think of it, I’m surprised my kids even set foot outside with me. Hmmm..
Anyway, after the last errand had been done, I suddenly remembered that we were out of milk and laundry soap- two things we needed really bad. And here’s the strange part- It didn’t register to me as I pulled into Fred Meyer what I looked like. I guess I’ll blame it on the chills, or the cold medicine, or the 3 loud children in the backseat.
 People, I proceeded to walk right into Fred Meyer looking like that. It wasn’t until Ben proceeded to spray hot chocolate all over the glass doughnut cases that something registered deep from my subconscious. Maybe it was the stares from other customers, or the look of pity from the bakery manager as he wiped up the hot chocolate. Whatever it was, I suddenly had a flashback to this morning. I remembered sitting on the floor letting Emma and Katie do my hair, and Ben paint my nails. Gasp!
My hands reached up to feel my hair, and sure enough….I had never taken it out! My hair was in 3 different braids, going out in 3 different directions. I had one scrunchie high up, and 2 barrettes holding loose strands in place. I felt panic setting in as I looked down at my sweats and rubber boots combo.
I sucked in a deep breath and tried not to panic. I still had to go through the checkout line… I whispered fiercely to the kids, “We have to get out of here fast- I look horrible!” Katie just smiled and touched my face, “But you look beautiful mommy!”
And that’s why I keep them around…they are confidence boosters.
I feel like I should send apology letters to all I came in contact with today and had to see my wild hair, pale face, dirty hoodie and wild children. Sorry coffee shop lady. Sorry teenage checker at Fred Meyer. Sorry library patrons.
My advice? Don’t leave the house when you have the flu- there’s just no good outcome to that at all….