My kiddos

My kiddos

Friday, August 31, 2012

Target disaster


Temper tantrums, however fun they may be to throw, rarely solve whatever problem is causing them.  ~Lemony Snicket

    We went to Target today. And probably won’t be setting foot in one again for the foreseeable future. It’s not that I don’t like Target- I L.O.V.E. Target. It’s what happened it there today that will make me cringe the next time I see the big Red O. Not a pretty sight.
    It all started off great. We didn’t have an agenda, just cruising around the store sipping our Icees and looking for some end of the summer deals. When we got to the shoe department, everyone was in great spirits. It was pretty busy, lots of shoes on clearance. From one aisle over, I hear Emma yell, “Hey mom, these high heels would totally match the bra you have on today!” Say what? All eyes turned towards us as she brings over a pair of leopard print shoes. Great, I just LOVE it when the whole store knows what kind of bra I’m wearing. This should have been my clue that things were taking a turn…  
   I let Katie pick out some really cute sandals. She wanted them sooo bad and since she did need some, I said yes. She was smiling as we started making our way to check-out. Then she saw it. A princess stroller right there in front of her. Like a sunbeam was shining down on its cuteness. She made a beeline for it and promptly set her shoes in it and started pushing. “I gonna get this stroller for my babies.” Uh-oh. (Insert scary, daunting music here).
    I pulled her aside and told her she already had shoes, so she couldn’t get the stroller. “I’m gonna get the shoes AND the stroller, it’s ok, right mommy?” Dagnabit! I have lived through MANY temper tantrums with the older two, but had yet to see a full blown one by Miss Kate. I knew it was coming, and could feel the sweat beads start to make an appearance on my forehead. “STAY STRONG, whatever happens next,” I repeated to myself as I took the stroller away.
   Screams, wailing, pleading, kicking and crawling on the floor quickly followed. I scooped her up, and made a beeline for the check stand. EVERYBODY was watching me, and it may be a coincidence but a security guard was standing not too far away. Emma and Ben both were plugging their ears. The line was long. She started kicking her legs and yelling even louder (if that’s possible). It was hard to do but I told the checker over the screaming, “Here are the shoes she wants. They are soooo cute but she can’t get these either.” The checker and I couldn’t talk much, it was taking all that was in me to pay AND hold onto a screaming 30 pound kid. 
    As I turned to leave the checker smiled at me and said really loud, “Thank you for not giving in. That doesn’t happen very often.” I pushed the cart a little further and an older lady smiled and said, “This too shall pass- you’re doing a good thing honey”. Very kind words, that I only now can appreciate. Kate screamed all the way home, and our ears are all still ringing. But she didn’t get her way. And not only did she learn a lesson, but Emma and Ben saw that MAMA means business…. Sometimes It’s really hard to be a responsible adult….